Hi Paul!

Well it's not *wrong* if you tag the admin_boundary on the way, rather
than the relation. I'd advise that you use the relation, rather than the
way tags, so I'm not sure *why* you've done it. There are downsides to
using the boundary tags,

Be careful of reading too much into the wiki, the wiki is not
definitive, and is often wrong and ignored. OSM is more anarchistic than
a wiki allows. :)

You mentioned on the changeset that you wanted to render country
borders, but not in the sea. Many people don't like the maritime
borders, so you're not alone in that. There are other solutions, such as
re-ordering your rendering to draw sea on top of the land, or processing
the lines in postgis to remove the boundaries which aren't on the land
(ST_Intersection), or using Paul Norman's OSMBorder which tells you if
it's maritime or not.

The downside to tagging the ways is that now the boundary is entered
into OSM twice! ways and relation. We mostly use the relation, so the
ways might get out of sync. Or someone who hasn't read this email will
not know why there are boundary tags, and will remove the tags, and
you'll have redo your work.

Just please don't break our relations! We've spent ages mapping it all,
and it could be easy for someone new to come in and accidentally break
something. :) Just adding admin tags to the way won't do that.

(BTW it's "Ireland" not "Eire" ;) )

[1] https://github.com/pnorman/osmborder