Hi,

That's a great idea, some minor thoughts and a big one:

If the students use Mapillary that would be great, because it means
other people can check the "source" in case someone made a mistake. And
we can use the mapillary images ourselves to map things the students
might have missed.

JOSM is good, but iD has a new feature where someone can "request
review" which could allow the community to help the mapper¹.

So the big bit:

This is now referred to as "Organized Editing"², and the OSM Data
Working Group is requesting feedback on any Policy that should be
created, similar to the Import Guidelines³ (which you all should fill
out!). It's to cover paid mapping, and (since elitist Germans want to
bash HOT & Missing Maps) any "organised mapathon".

The main question is: Who is telling the mapper what to map? How much
freedom does the mapper have?

If I see a dodgy/bad edit, the OSM approach is to contact the mapper and
talk to them. But if the person who uploaded it is being paid to map it,
then they don't have any freedom to act differently, they're just doing
their job. I can't suggest that someone not add a certain thing, if the
would get fired for not adding it! I should really be talking to their
manager.

Some classes (etc) are designed for the students to learn about OSM, and
the students are only required to map /something/. In which case I have
to talk to the student. It sounds like this is where the mappers will be
told what to map.

I suggest that the person in charge of the project post a diary entry
(they do already have an OSM account, right??) explaining their project,
what their experience with OSM is, where they'll be mapping, what they
will be adding, what the source is, who the team members will be, etc.
All of the team members should probably have a separate OSM account for
the mapping, and in their OSM user profile mention that they are working
on a certain project, and include a link to the person in charge of the
project. Perhaps they should also details in changeset comments/tags
about the project. This way, if anyone sees a dodgy edit, we know who to
ask about it.

It's also important that the people running this project know about OSM.
Sometimes people think it's a generic geo-data-store, where you have
private layers, and can just store whatever you need to there. Nope,
we're all in one database. So other mappers might come along and
fix/change/improve/delete something you add, if appropriate. This may or
not affect your project. Sometimes people react to this with "We need
the data in this form for our project, stop changing/deleting it". But
if the data is "wrong" (by OSM standards) then tough. This could be a
problem for a project, so they should (i) be aware of it and (ii) have
some idea of what they should do if this happens.

The other thing that could help is for the leader and members to post to
this mailing list, or try to get engaged in the OSM community. OSM is
both a free geo-database, and a community of people who want to create a
free geo-database. Engagement with the community could help them learn a
lot more, get questions answered, get help, etc.

It would be great to spruce up data in some places, and (hopefully)
spawn more mappers!

Hope that helps,

Rory

----