On 05/09/2018, Donal Hunt <donal.h...@gmail.com> wrote:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ringfort
>
> In Irish language <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irish_language> sources
> they are known by a number of names: *ráth* (anglicised *rath*), *lios*
>  (anglicised *lis*; cognate with Cornish
>
> (...)
>
> Based on the above definitions, nodes should tagged with ring_fort but
> detailed mapping could use ráth and lios.

From that wikipedia article it seems that ráth is just the irish word
for ringfort, there doesn't seem to be added information ? For ráth vs
lios, see below.

I don't care much about ring_fort vs ringfort, but the later is what's
currently in the db and wiki.

> I assume a relation tagged with
> ringfort would be appropriate for locations that have the ráth and lios
> mapped.

The distinction between ráth (the actual ring) and lios (the inner
area) is interesting, but I couldn't find any mapping that made that
distinction. Similarly, we rarely map the building walls separately
from the building rooms. The vast majority of ringforts are mapped as
ways. The ~10 that are mapped as relations seem to be so because a
townland boundary follows a portion of the ring.

If we want to do detailed mapping, there are some characteristics that
we could identify:
* does it use (at least some) stones or just earth ? See also
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthworks_(archaeology). The wiki's
tagging scheme starts with usage (fortification), we could refine
further with nature (earthwork).
* Has it been razed ? In my reviews I found a lot of ringforts that
got flattened (typically for agricultural reasons) but that are still
visible as ground discoloration on imagery. I don't want to start an
"abandoned railway" debate, but I guess there's a whole spectrum of
"still exists".
* height, public access, signposted, paid access, etc.

How about ringfort_type=rath/caiseal/dun/razed to differentiate
between earth, stone, large, and destroyed ringforts ?

Dun Aengus (on Aran More) is currently tagged as 'historic=castle
castle_type=defensive'. Should we switch it to the above-mentioned
scheme ? Any other comparable fort we should look at ?

> p.s. I have no other knowledge / opinion other that want I've read above. I
> do think they are cool and worth mapping. 50,000 is a lot of work!!!

~2500 done, 47500 to go :)

I've got other things on my plate, but from now on I'll try to map
ringforts when I stumble upon them.