Hi Agustín,

I spoke to you for a bit that day in Galway and I've though about this a little
since. As mentioned, getting access to as many sets (supplier and month) of
aerial / satellite / street view type images as possible will be useful.

One way to get past records would be to find out what products / services a
farmer bought each year. For example, certain crops require certain fertilisers
- I understand tomatoes benefit from modest amounts magnesium sulfate, which
might not be useful for other crops. You would need to find out from farmers /
coops / suppliers what products were used from invoices, etc. Similarly with
some agricultural services, e.g. if a combine harvester is hired-in one year,
but not the next. However, this won't necessarily tell you which crop was in
which field.

As to mapping, you could have an arrangement where farmers (or dedicated
surveyors / agricultural advisers) can download an app, mark their fields and
what crop (and fertilisers, etc) is in each field. You would then map the farm
for them and get them to confirm the data. Of course, not everywhere in the
world uses strictly-defined fields like in Ireland or the UK. The next year,
the farmer can use the app to click on each mapped field an mark the crop.

There is also the matter of language / dialect. In Ireland today, "corn" means
maize. Before 1990, it meant wheat and historically, it could be any grain
covered by the Corn Acts. Peppers can mean green / yellow / red peppers (all
the one fruit at different stages of ripeness) or black / white peppercorns or
chili peppers.

Colm