And for those (like me) who are not up to speed on how peaks are measured…

The World Geodetic System (WGS) is a standard for use in cartography
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartography>, geodesy
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geodesy>, and satellite navigation
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satellite_navigation> including GPS
<https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS>.

WGS84 (elipsoid) and EGM96 (geoid) are two different models, with different
applications.

The latest major revision of WGS 84 is also referred to as "Earth
Gravitational Model 1996" (EGM96), first published in 1996, with revisions
as recent as 2004. This model has the same reference ellipsoid as WGS 84,
but has a higher-fidelity geoid (roughly 100 km resolution versus 200 km
for the original WGS 84).

When you see a height in a map, it is usually a height over the geoid
(orthometric height), but when you get one from a GPS device, it is usually
a height over the elipsoid. There are online tools to transform between
them as needed, using what it is called geoid undulation. E.g.
geoid-height-calculator

The tl;dr is that you need to reference which model your peak height is
measured against. EGM96 is preferred (I'm assuming) because it has higher
definition and more refined model.

Donal