Hi,

Recently I was playing around with the openstreetmap analytics tool,
looking at various stats for mapped features in Ireland and I noticed
something odd.

Taking Kilkenny as an example, there have been 45,000 buildings mapped in
that county done recently with the advent of the "Map Irelands Buildings"
tasks, however when I drilled down a bit I found the tagging to be as
follows

building=yes 86%
building=house 10%
building=farm_auxiliary 1%
building=greenhouse 1%
building=shed <1%
building=ruins <1%
building=residential <1%
building=garage <1%
building=farm <1%
building=construction <1%

This shows almost all buildings have been tagged with the basic
building=yes tag.

See here -
http://osm-analytics.org/#/show/polygon:fcbn%40avt%60Igxv%40v%7C_AquaBksImgUgxQdzRub%5Ez%7Df%40w%60m%40%60b%60BvtI/buildings/recency

Comparing this to a portion of East Galway that i have been tipping along
at over the last while, the breakdown is as follows

building=house 63%
building=garage 16%
building=farm_auxiliary 10%
building=yes 7%
building=shed 2%
building=farm 1%
building=school <1%
building=church <1%
building=retail <1%
building=static_caravan <1%

As you can see, only 7% are tagged with building=yes as it is pretty
obvious from imagery what the correct tag should be for each mapped
building and building=yes is only used when it's not possible to say with a
high degree of certainty what other tag should be used.

See here -
http://osm-analytics.org/#/show/polygon:beiv%40ggicImk_%40va%40s%7BCsiIwwE_sDhCy%7BDh_L_tDf~Qpw%40/buildings/recency

When I look at the task instructions for Kilkenny here -
https://tasks.openstreetmap.ie/project/4 it states "As a minimum capture
the shape and size of every type of building. Mark as building=yes OR
indicate type of use, and address if known from local knowledge or street
imagery".

I'm wondering if there is something I'm missing here. Why are we not
tagging buildings with the correct tagging?

Dave