If I may interject a couple thoughts into this really interesting discussion ..
interesting because in most places of active OSM contributions,
there's a clear correspondence between road classification and road size.

Any number of tags can be applied to a road. So no need to decide between
highway or lanes .. ideal to use both.

The highway=primary/secondary/tertiary classification scheme doesn't refer to
the size of the road, or its passibility, but to its classification.
If a road links two major cities, it's primary, despite it's size.

Tags like "lanes" and "width" can describe those characteristics.

highway=construction and construction=*, will indicate that a road is under
repair. Better to use that than "tertiary".

Also important to mention that ultimately, tags are suggestions. Sure there's
conformity encouraged by what mapnik will render.
But you're free to do your own rendering and add any tags you like.

India is a big country .. the biggest single nation actively mapped in OSM! So
I wouldn't be surprised at all if different schemes are used in different
states.
The possibility for harmonization at a later date is real .. this is a wiki,
and major roads should be particularly easy to update.
In other words, don't let disagreement stop anything!

Mikel