How about this?

1) Proper expressways. Mumbai-Pune, Ahmedabad-Vadodara and a few bypasses bult
by nhai: motorway

2)Upgraded national highways. at least 4lane divided with shoulders. gq, nsew
etc. most of them fall in the nhdp project http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NHDP:
trunk

3)Upgraded nh's, 2lane with shoulders. like the nh4 between chitoor and kolar,
nh67 mangalore-hassan: Primary

4)other nh's. single lane: Primary

5)upgraded sh. 4lane divided, like the banglore-mysore highway: Primary/trunk

6)other sh 2/1 lane : Secondary

7) district roads: Tertiary

8) others/rural roads between villages: Tertiary

Regards
Shajeer