On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 11:32 AM, Guillaume Audirac <
guillaume.audi...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sajjad,
>
> where is the map you created?
>>>
>> The map is here
>> http://www.openstreetmap.org/edit?lat=11.32007&lon=75.93383&zoom=17
>> But this is the first attempt, hence the map is incomplete, the quality of
>> work is very poor. The document is a step forward to improve the quality.
>>

> Indeed the quality is poor, but I guess you have subscribed to this mailing
> list to improve it ?

Exactly.

> OpenStreetMap is a great project, but it requires initially a deep dive in
> the wiki (http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Main_Page) to understand what
> to do, what to avoid. To understand also that it may take a few hours for
> your changes to be updated on the Mapnik rendering (or more depending on the
> zoom scale), to understand that you should not tag for the rendering but to
> reflect the reality. Try to see what others do in some nicely-mapped area.
> And feel free to ask your questions or doubts on the mailing list.

Yes. The map we created is not actually totally rendered. I wonder what went
wrong. We are reworking on the data with the new subset from OSM and will
come up here with queries.

> Some useful tool like KeepRight can help you to fix some basic mistakes
> (updated once a week I guess):
>
> http://keepright.ipax.at/report_map.php?db=osm_XD&zoom=16&lat=11.31964&lon=75.93473&layers=B00T&ch=0&show_ign=0&show_tmpign=0
> (the Permalink allows you to bookmark a specific location in updating the
> URL)

Thank  you for this tip. The KeepRight tool is going to be of great help.

> You can also use JOSM and the validator plugin to check the basic errors
> before uploading.
> Some mistakes are very basic and cannot make use of the map for routing
> purpose for example: crossing roads with ways not connected. Or they are
> unappropriate like building=yes on a single node (use a closed-way for this
> tag) or replace it with landuse=residential for example.
> Refer often to the *Map Features* page to know the most common tags and
> attributes: http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Map_Features, and also how
> to combine them.

We'll try them.

> I personally don't try to map everything and everyday, but what I find
> useful for me and others.
>
> Greetings,
> Guillaume

Sajjad Anwar