On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 7:12 PM, PlaneMad <theplane...@gmail.com> wrote:

> All the data that is currently on OSM (and any map in general) can be used
> for a whole range of uses, from good to bad, depending on who is using it,
> and the Indian govt has raised its voice enough over google earth regarding
> this. If such data can empower property developers against the community (i
> would think that property developers already have such data at their
> fingertips), i'm also sure that they can empower a whole group of people to
> work for the betterment of society. Slum's after all are a reality in our
> cities, and i dont see any harm in recognizing that.

Arun, et al, I said "uncomfortable", not "opposed". Let's tag them as slums.
Freemap Mumbai was supposed to empower slum dwellers, but far as I can tell,
that never happened. The project lost steam and everyone eventually moved to
OSM.

I'm uncomfortable because this is the sort of tag that takes the map from a
geek pursuit to one used to negotiate on the ground. Mikel's been through
this with his various conflict zone mapping projects. We haven't had an
episode in India yet.