On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 12:02 PM, Onkar Shinde <onkarshi...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 29, 2012 at 8:41 AM, Arun Ganesh <arun.plane...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Using OSM is easy once you have the coordinates, but I'm wondering how
> they
> > synced the monument list with the coordinates in the first place. I can
> just
> > assume the list already came with coordinates, but in our case we need to
> > geocode the list which is a bit of a task.
>
> If I understood the problem correctly you can approach it in following way.
> 1. OSM has a key defined 'wikipedia' which will point to a wikipedia
> article for any node. [1]

Only, all monuments do not have a wikipedia page. Actually it seems like
only a minuscule portion of them do.

Also, most of the descriptions are generic:
"Two swivel guns belonging to the Mughal Nawwara"
"Burial Cave"
"Ruins"

Its quite a task to actually locate them and map it with this information.
This is a massive coordinated mapping project itself. If done, it would be
an awesome database which even the government may not have.

> 2. Tag all the monuments that are already mapped with this tag
> (provided wikipedia page is already present).
> 3. Use XAPI to retrieve all the nodes which have this tag within the
> bbox of India. [2]
> 4. From this OSM dump you can easily get coordinates using some XML
> parsing.
>
> Example XAPI query (bbox is small, retrieves one node)
>
> http://open.mapquestapi.com/xapi/api/0.6/node[bbox=72.607,17.639,74.983,19.542][wikipedia=*]
>
> [1] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Wikipedia
> [2] http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/XAPI#Nodes
>

> Regards,
> Onkar
> --
> Passion - Some people climb mountains - others write Free software.
> Don't ask why - the reason is the same.

 Arun Ganesh
(planemad) <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Planemad>
Geography.Information.Design