Hi Sibi,

Great to see some progress with respect to adding Indic languages in OSM. Although bulk uploading of data is generally discouraged, you can look at Nomino[1] which is specifically made for name translation. iD editor may be better to start with, but you can also try out JOSM[2] and use its filter funtion[3] to filter out features which don't have Tamil language tags in your downloaded mapping data and easily add the Tamil names. It may take some time in the beginning with JOSM, but once you get hold of it, you can become a power mapper with it![4]

Normally I add Kannada names along-with English names whenever I create any new element on OSM in Karnataka region and also add them if I don't see Kannada names whenever I do regular mapping usually with JOSM. Currently, I see that the number of Tamil names in India[5] is almost half compared to rest of the world[6]. Hopefully, this difference would be decreased in near future as more contributors begin to add regional language names alongside English names.

[1]http://nomino.openstreetmap.fr/
[2]http://learnosm.org/en/josm/start-josm/
[3]http://josm.openstreetmap.de/wiki/Help/Dialog/Filter
[4]https://github.com/mapbox/mapping/wiki/Becoming%20a%20power%20mapper