A couple of anecdotes;

The old Danish maps adopted a specific hatch to represent "variable" riverbeds, both for glacier floodplains and marshlands.

But the last time a similar situation occurred; a lava flow moving a big river representing administrative boundaries; that was in 1783 when the second branch of lava from the Laki eruption (Eldhraun) deviated the river Hverfisfljót from it's riverbed. In one place the river found new course east and south of a mountain called Hnúta [1] instead of running north and west of it down into the valley below.

Now, this upper part of Hverfisfljót separated two different types of land; the shared common (afréttur) for the county of Kleifahreppur on the west bank, and a private property of the farm Dalshöfði in Fljótshverfi on the east bank. This distinction used to be hugely important because all the farms had duty of supplying n persons (or pay else) for collecting sheep in the autumn, hunting foxes, and some more. This duty (fjallskil) was considered equal to taxes.

When the farm properties extended all the way up to the glacier, like many do in Fljótshverfi, the owner was only responsible to himself and his neighbors, but nevertheless had to fulfill the duty of collecting sheep, etc. from his land.

With the new course of the river Hverfisfljót, the mountain Hnúta was all of a sudden on the west bank inside the shared common area, even if still being property of the farm Dalshöfði; so the farmers in Dalshöfði became obliged to supply 2 men each autumn to gather sheep from that mountain even if they didn't have any sheep on that side of the river. The interesting or funny part of this story is that this continued to be so for about 200 years; it wasn't until in the 1980s when this duty was finally abolished for the farmers í Dalshöfði.

But if I'm not mistaken, the administration boundary from pre-1783 still persists around Hnúta...

Best regards,
Sveinn í Felli

[1]: <https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/63.97136/-17.94347>

Þann 5.5.2020 20:12, skrifaði Hauke Stieler:
Hi,

thanks for the quick reply. As you said, I separated them, so that the
boundaries haven't moved.

Hauke