On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 20:32:08 Brian McLaughlin wrote:
> Thanks for your reply Robert,
>
> Thanks for the reminder to respect others GPS traces. I always do, but
> I'm finding very few GPS traces in the areas that I've been mapping,
> so I'm wondering were the data has been coming from. The aerials are
> of little use to me doing trail mapping because of the canopy density,
> but thanks for the tip anyway. Are you mapping hiking trails as well?
> If so I would like to shoot some ideas/ questions off you.

Hi Brian,

Thank you for posting.  This list is very quiet, which I can only assume is
because everyone is busy mapping...

Feel free to discuss details here.  Or not.

I have mapped a couple of hiking trails.  It's hard to do as the GPS signal is
weak under the trees, but the tracks look nice when they are drawn.

They look really nice on the OSM OpenCycleMap layer, but here's another
rendering which I think looks great too.

http://opencyclemap.org/?zoom=14&lat=35.68757&lon=127.8812&layers=00B

OpenCycleMap and the Landscape map are not updated as often as the main OSM
layer.

I also found this:
http://openmapsurfer.uni-hd.de/?zoom=16&lat=35.72688&lon=127.95432&layers=B00000FTT

In the layer menu you can turn on hillshading and contour lines.  Looks nice
with the OSM Roads background.  It seems that MapQuest Open does not render
hiking trails.

Best wishes,

Andrew