Errington wrote:

> I think we should remember that we are not mapping Korea for Koreans, we
> are mapping it for everybody.

Yes, it’s true. We are mapping it for everyone. However, I think it cannot
be a reason that we put or remain English name in name tag. Most countries
including China, Japan, Finland, Italy, Switzerland are using their local
name in name tag. Finland and Switzerland has several official languages
but many name tags are represented by ‘the most common language of the
region’ (Helsinki in Finland: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1372477580,
Fribourg in Switzerland: http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1685926271)

>From such perspective, it looks like that global consensus on name tag is
‘local name’. In case of South Korea, it is Korean name. I understand your
concern because I had similar problem when I travel foreign Countries.
However, I think the problem should be discussed in global view and solved
by other method rather than tricking on name tag.

I have an idea how it should work, which would require some software
> support, but remember, we have plenty of time, and the data we are putting
> in now might not be usable for some time, until the software is ready.
> It's important to have a goal, and be patient that it will take some time
> to reach it.

I don’t agree with ‘plenty of time.’ It’s an indefinite postponement. It
will be difficult to convince people think “Korean (English)” is not
following OSM global rule. No naming rule will have majority and current
confusion will remain.

I think we can spend plenty of time for discussing naming rule, but we must
not depend on things not in our hands.

Best regards,

느림보 / Nrimbo.