I suggest that the tags for
highway=trunk,primary,secondary,tertiary,unclassified be considered as a
function of traffic patterns and not of DOTC designation nor physical
appearance or condition.

These values should also be considered relative to local traffic patterns.
This means that levels will be different in an urban and rural setting: a
trunk in Metro Manila does not have to be equivalent in function to a trunk
in Nueva Vizcaya.

Here are some descriptive interpretations I might suggest (subject to
discussion):

trunk (rural) : long-distance route to traverse across provinces
primary (rural) : mid-distance route to travel between towns in a province
secondary (rural) : major streets within rural towns
tertiary (rural) : major streets within areas of rural towns
unclassified,residential (rural) : other roads in rural towns

trunk (urban) : long-distance route across the metropolis
primary (urban) : major road within a metropolitan city
secondary (urban) : mid-level road within a metropolitan city
tertiary (urban) : minor road in a metropolitan city
unclassified,residential (urban) : other roads in metropolitan cities

I'll admit that I have no fixed idea as to how to tag roads such that
relative functional importance within Metro Manila (Cebu, Davao) is
consistent when you get outside Metro Manila (Cebu, Davao).

The problem is that in urban areas, the road density is so high such that we
need to differentiate the roads a lot, whereas in rural areas, the density
is low.

For Metro Manila, EDSA and *parts* of C-5 are definitely trunk.
Commonwealth, Quirino (QC) and McArthur Highway are arguably trunk. Quezon
Avenue-Espana, Aurora-Marcos Highway, Ortigas-Ortigas Ext., Quirino
(Manila), and Roxas Blvd are not so clear.

What do you guys think?

http://vaes9.codedgraphic.com