On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:31 AM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How big an area do the data sheets cover?
A 1:10K large scale map covers approximately 5KM by 5 KM.  At the
moment NAMRIA has very few urban areas covered (such as Metro Manila
Cebu, Iloilo).  By geodata's estimate that's around 13,000 mapsheets.
Developing this kind of data is really a huge investement (buying
aerials, less than 4 meters DEM resolution, updating vector
attributes).

> Maybe the budget also covers data maintenance over a set number of years?
> Then again, the government tends to "overbudget" on IT projects like this.
> :-/
I hope so, but what worries me is when we start doing this, can we
sustain the effort?  In some LGUs , they have way better GIS database
than what NAMRIA has. Moreover,  does it make much sense to do 1:10K
mapping for rugged, uninhabited areas of the Philippines?

--
cheers,
maning