trunk road (by observation in philippine examples) is normally a very
long 'road system' and they generally crosses provincial/regional
boundary (carrying a common name or road code along the entire
length).

but i agree that there are some exceptions: Quezon Ave & Commonwealth
ranks 2nd the the heaviest number of vehicle traffic in ph (per MMDA)
and unquestionably functions like a trunk (even if they are both
located within the same city), and their traffic connects to Espana
going to the heart of Manila; then Espana must be also be a trunk. (it
feeds 2 main roads: Quezon Ave & E. Rodriquez Ave @ Mabuhay Rotonda).

+1 vote Espana & Quezon Ave as trunk