On Mon, Feb 18, 2013 at 12:51 PM, Jim Morgan <j...@datalude.com> wrote:

> But kidding aside, if we do actually manage to raise say, a couple of
> thousand dollars locally for mapping, wouldn't that money be better spent
> buying mapping equipment for use here, rather than sending someone to
> Birmingham? I'm thinking, off the top of my head:
>
>  - Some sort of aerial photo rig for mapping provincial areas. Remote
> control plane, balloon etc.
>  - Buying imagery from imagery suppliers. Perhaps they'd entertain a
> discount for non-profits.
>  - Buying GIS data from the people hoarding it here.
>  - Lobbying government departments to help.
>  - More GPStoGo pool units.

+1

Sending a person to UK would cost around 1,000 pounds. That is definitely a
serious amount of money. As Jim said, if we really had the potential to
raise that kind of amount, I would prefer that it fund projects here such
as those mapping resources Jim mentioned. The funds could also be used for
server hosting and tools or for holding events and procuring promotional
materials.

Anyway, if we really want to target SotM, maybe SotM Asia 2013 would be
better? :-)