Andrew Buck wrote, On Friday, 22 November, 2013 01:03 AM:
I have thought about creating such a server but I do not have a computer to
host it
on, etc.

This prompts me to mention that I recently built a tile server as a VirtualBox
virtual machine. It works pretty well, and I can just fire it up when I need to
generate some tiles, so no need for a separate computer.

The reason why I wanted a tile server was to generate offline tiles for
Trekbuddy. The OSM servers don't like it when you use them and will start
serving up blank tiles after a bit, so it seemed like the right way to go.

If anyone wants details, then you can contact me off-forum.

Jim