On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM, Eugene Alvin Villar <sea...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, May 25, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Mark Cupitt <markcup...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I also have a question about places:ph, there are a LOT in the database,
>> I guess they are implemented with other tags, is there a definitive list of
>> what the other tags are?
>>
>> Seem like Barangays mostly, but possibly some other places?
>>

> Taginfo to the rescue!
> http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/place%3Aph#values
>
> Based on Taginfo, 95% of the values of the place:ph=* tag is "barangay"
> with a total of number of 1,300. This is actually quite low. There are
> almost 42,000 barangays in the Philippines.
>
> The other values are purok and sitio (which are unofficial subunits of a
> barangay) and a few other values that I think are wrong uses of the tag.

To answer the other question, I think the intention of the place:ph=* tag
is to definitely indicate that a node tagged as place=village refers
specifically to an official barangay instead of some other "village" such
as residential subdivisions and gated communities (which should really be
tagged with place=neighbourhood)

Personally, I would like to use the international designation=* tag to
indicate that a place is an official barangay instead of using a
Philippine-specific tag like place:ph=*.

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:designation

Thus, my personal preference is place=village, designation=barangay instead
of place=village, place:ph=barangay.