We can use the new Changeset Discussion feature for this. Instead of
sending a PM to the user, just leave a friendly comment on their
latest changeset. :-)

I think we should create a standard template for welcoming new PH
users. Here are some examples of what this message can contain
according to other veteran OSM users:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/SimonPoole/diary/24124
http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/User:Mvexel/New_User_Welcome_Message

For us, I think we can go with the following rough outline:

1. Thank the user for their edits in <place>
2. Inform them about beginner guides[1] and getting help[2].
    Or they can send messages to any other user who welcomes them on
the changeset discussion
3. Invite them to join the OSM Philippines online community by pointing to:
    a. this talk-ph mailing list[3]
    b. the OSM Philippines Facebook page[4]
    c. the OSM Philippines wiki page[5]

[1] http://learnosm.org