On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 9:23 AM, Jherome Miguel <jheromemig...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> It already looks important to have place names under the name= tag be
> bilingual or multilingual, not just in English, especially when taking
> regard speakers of native languages (Tagalog, Cebuano, Hiligaynon,
> Kapampangan, Ilocano, etc.), and use of native. I am proposing a scheme
> where the name under the place tag would have English as first name, and
> second name in the Tagalog (usually formal), and the third name in the
> native language (on places other than those in Tagalog speaking areas)

[Oops. Sent too early.]

So in essence, you want to propose something like what is done in Belgium?

I don't agree. I want the name=* to use just a single name, defaulting to
English as much as possible (since English is an official language of the
Philippines) and avoiding Tagalog/Filipino because that is a sensitive
issue outside of native Tagalog-speaking areas.

The only time we will use non-native English names is when the native form
is overwhelmingly used even in English texts such as in English news
articles, English books, and English academic papers. For example, in
practically every English news article about the Marcos burial issue, every
news outlet used the name "Libingan ng mga Bayani" instead of "Cemetery of
Heroes" or "Heroes' Cemetery". So name=Libingan ng mga Bayani is used. This
goes for other places such as "Liwasang Bonifacio" (not "Bonifacio Park" or
"Bonifacio Square" or "Bonifacio Plaza"), "MalacaƱang sa Sugbo" (not
"MalacaƱang in Cebu"), "Paseo de Roxas" (not "Roxas Path"), "Zamboanga del
Norte" (not "Northern Zamboanga"), etc.

~Eugene