My limited experience in a limited number of provincial areas:

Local PNP Sargent told me that they don't enforce speed. The city's speed
limit (built up area) is 20 km/h everywhere (as set by the city council);
this is generally ignored.

Without speed tagging, auto-routing on a GPS is useless, it simply takes
the shortest route over the slowest roads.

Out of the city proper, the classification of the road is not a great
indicator of the comfortable speed of the road - some significant routes
can be in poor condition (sealed or un-sealed). The "legal" speed is often
greater than the comfortably achievable speed.

Strict tagging of road speeds based on their classification will lead to
some poor auto-routing, where the GPS takes a bad road. I've been a bit
naughty and have been guilty of tagging roads in a way that forces the GPS
to take to best route, regardless of classification (i.e. tag to quality).
I know this is not an appropriate tagging recipe .... just putting it out
there that some wriggle room is needed if auto-routing in rural areas is
to  be considered. Maybe an informal thing?