The value is that we align better to the global tagging scheme with respect
to human settlements. And there is a great variability in barangays that
shoehorning them all into just place=village no longer makes sense. For
example, Barangay 12 in Pasay is essentially just a small city block while
Barangay 176 in Caloocan has a population of almost 250,000 making it more
populous than majority of all PH cities. Both do not seem to be "villages"
in the global OSM sense to me.

Also, back when we decided to tag barangays as place=village, tags like
place=quarter or place=suburb didn't exist yet.

Finally, we can still mark these place nodes as barangays by adding the
designation=barangay tag if you want to query for them.