I'd like to discuss a possible downgrade of primaries in Davao and CDO. I think several of these roads are good examples for unnumbered routes with major importance.

Let's start with Davao. Since the opening of Slaughterhouse Road and the subsequent widening of Gold-Ruby-Mabini to 4 lanes most through-traffic from Diversion Road to downtown (previously passing through Ma-a) is now being diverted through this more direct route. Given that Ma-a now mostly serves local traffic (the main exception being connectivity from Calinan-Magtuod Road to Matina), downgrading to secondary seems appropriate. It should be noted that the current main link between Diversion Road and Downtown is only intended as a temporary solution which will become redundant with the construction of Davao City Expressway Phase 1. This planned project would also significantly reduce the importance of Bacaca Road, which could then be considered for downgrade to secondary.

Some background about Libby Road: Under the project title Davao City Diversion Extension to Toril this road has been fully widened to 4 lanes. Together with Talomo-Puan Bypass it serves as a feasible alternative route from Bangkal to Toril. Especially for traffic to and from N10 it's almost always the faster route as it bypasses Crossing Ulas and Crossing Puan. It should also be considered that Toril is a town-like suburb that far exceeds the population criteria laid out for primary roads. I think it would be best to keep the current classification for now and only downgrade to secondary once Libby Road will be superseded by Davao Bypass Road.

As for Manolo Fortich-Libona-Indahag Road, in its current state it is clearly sub-standard for a primary road, especially the section from Indahag to J.R. Borja. Despite of that it serves as a viable and in some cases faster alternative for travel between two large population centers within Metro CDO. Maybe we can ask for opinions on this from local contributors. Edge cases like this are really difficult to assess without extensive ground knowledge.

 Best regards,
Timmy

On 2021-06-07 23:27, Jherome Miguel wrote:
On the proposed reclassifications I'm documenting at uMap, I've been trying to identify trunk and primary routes across sprawling urban areas of places like Metro Manila, Metro Cebu, Davao and Cagayan de Oro. Those places are are a different beast from the rest of the country. What route gets trunk Class needs to be carefully selected especially where they’re part of the same corridor. Primary should generally be assigned to main thoroughfares, and for me, best not assigned on any road without a road number, with the possible exceptions.

Some ideas:

- For Davao City, trunk network is fine. Primaries around Davao City may need some partial tweaks, especially those linking C.P. Garcia/Diversion Road with city proper. Should consider downgrade for Libby Road between Toril and Talomo (would consider this secondary being functionally lower than MacArthur Highway, plus road being narrow and classified national tertiary). - For Cagayan de Oro, trunk network is fine (may move trunk classification to the bypass formed by the Coastal Roads, San Pedro Street and San Lazaro Road once the missing link near port opens). Primary network good, but should consider downgrade to J.R. Borja and the road to Libona and Manolo Fortich (low speeds, narrow carriageway, less traffic and lower official classification).

Sorry for the late reply, having another pause from mapping. I've been also looking up the talk-us archive for the latest discussion on reforming U.S. road classifications that has been pointed out earlier here.