On Sat, Feb 25, 2012 at 10:18 AM, Aleksandar Cirkovic <ci...@web.de> wrote:
> @Milos Komarcevic
> I don't understand why you feel the project and / or community would be
> broken. This sounds to like you are offended, and it is not what I had in
> mind. Feel free to contribute in any way you like, please.

Because we're going through this same argument at least twice year. We
enter data one way, then somebody changes it the other way a couple of
months later just because they have some subjective fear and loathing
of one script or the other, then somebody changes it back, and so on,
and we end up with the mess we have now. As I said, if ping-pong was
what I was looking for, I'll find it somewhere else thank you very
much.

This is wasting time and effort instead of concentrating on the
mapping, and I feel less and less inclined to continue contributing.

I have been involved with many open source Serbian localization
projects over a few years now, and we learned an important lesson that
is so fundamentally obvious, that it becomes frustrating having to
explain it over and over again to people who refuse think logically.
And it boils down to:

Serbian is perfectly well recorded using the Cyrillic script, and
EVERYTHING else can easily and SHOULD be AUTOMATICALLY transliterated
and transcribed from it. Going the other way DOES NOT WORK (at least
not as easily). 1+1=?

All other historic and national reasons aside, this is a single and
obvious TECHNICAL advantage that lets us cover all bases at once, and
if we don't start exploiting it by building OSM on solid foundations,
I'd really rather focus my effort on some other project.

Regards,