Hi Peter,

It's great to have you and the other people with so much domain knowledge on
this list.

> Our challenge within OSM is to get all this knowledge, effort and
> commitment turned into a usable and functional set of simple tags. I
> love the way people are collecting photos of bus stop flags from all
> over the UK to compare with the NaPTAN data, it is this level of
> detailed attention that is going to take this project to some very
> interesting places.

I agree!

It'd be worth us defining some expected use-cases for the transit data on
OSM.  Routing is clearly the main one. The thought of having to work with
timetables makes my head explode, but as a simple first step, it'd be great
to be able to do something like the 'Wizard' feature on the Transport for
London journey planner maps http://journeyplanner.tfl.gov.uk.  (If you
haven't seen this, give it a try. Do a search for a route on the journey
planner, click for the map, and then click the 'wizard' button on the bottom
right hand side of the map).

Other use-cases would be things like being able to work out the nearest
train station/bus stop to a place, and perhaps being able to see from the
map which stations are 'accessible', and which aren't.

Frankie

--
Frankie Roberto
Experience Designer, Rattle

Sent from: Manchester Greater Manchester United Kingdom.