I would love to see GTFS data imported into OSM, especially the SF data if
you can convince them to change the license.

I think the street= tag is a good idea.

I'm unsure of the bearing tag.  If we know which street the stop is on and
where the stop is the direction the bus is going follows from that.  Could
you provide an example of where and how that would come in useful?  Or is it
something that we need to know only if the imported location of the stop is
not precise enough to show which side of the street it is on?

How are you planning to deal with existing data?  Many stops are already
mapped and have more data than is in the GTFS feed.  For example, does the
stop have a shelter, or a ticker to show when the next bus is coming or a
bench, etc.

Cheers,
Greg