> Yes that's one option. I'm a bit reluctant to put in separate
> relations for each direction unless someone actually gives me a
> compelling reason to do so. I already have some ways with more than 20
> relations, and I don't really want to double that number without good
> reason.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.85106&lon=4.75651&zoom=17&layers=M

Lijn 7 uses Krijkelberg twice. Bus stop Sint-Kamillus is served by both
directions. This can be mapped without ambiguity if there is one relation
for each direction.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.881607&lon=4.715&zoom=18&layers=M

Bus station in Leuven. It's perfectly clear where the buses will travel. Not
so if both directions are in only one relation.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.89623&lon=4.47405&zoom=17&layers=M

Brussels Airport

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.89648&lon=4.4759&zoom=17&layers=M

All buses serve the airport over a dedicated road.

http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.86321&lon=4.515999&zoom=18&layers=M

In Sterrebeek line 616 makes an extra loop to serve a bus stop on Tramlaan.

Sure it would be possible to program something to process a 1 route
relation, but it would not be straightforward. Most importantly though, with
one route relation per direction, it's a whole lot easier for the mappers to
check that the relation is continuous.

As far as routes go that have a shorter itinerary during the week, I
wouldn't make an extra sets of relations for those. Simply put the longest
road traveled in both relations.

Jo