On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 1:45 PM, Jo <winfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm a bit reluctant to put in separate
>> relations for each direction unless someone actually gives me a
>> compelling reason to do so. I already have some ways with more than 20
>> relations, and I don't really want to double that number without good
>> reason.
>
> ... various examples ...
>
> Sure it would be possible to program something to process a 1 route
> relation, but it would not be straightforward. Most importantly though, with
> one route relation per direction, it's a whole lot easier for the mappers to
> check that the relation is continuous.

I've no problem with mappers separating out directions if they find
that easier (eg Jo's examples). But there are times where combining
the directions might well be easier. Processing an ordered 2-direction
relation would be fairly straightforward, actually, and I don't think
we should be prescriptive if there's no substantial need from data
users (perhaps the line-diagram drawers might like to comment?).

Richard