Hi Peter

On 05/01/2011 10:49 AM, Peter Miller wrote:

Just to say that I have just set Stefan Bethke up as an admin. There are
now two administrators, myself and Stefan which is much better.

I would like to also say how impressed I am with the new public
transport schema which is proving to be very useful for modeling the
main railway stations in London. I have also been working on the OSM
wiki over the past week providing more detail about this schema on more
pages. Here are a few pages that I have pretty much finished.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstop_position
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstop_area
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dplatform
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:public_transport%3Dstation

Thanks for your work on the wiki!

One question I do have is about how to tag the boundary of a station.
For some purposes it seems to be important to have a node representing
the station, and a node is also useful because it can be positioned over
the main concourse or at any other appropriate location as opposed to
being in the centre of the boundary which is often in the
tracks/platform area. This begs the question about how to tag the area
of the station.

On normal maps a stop_area should not be drawn. So there is another possibility to draw the boundary (if alreay supported by renderers):

public_transport=station
area=yes

If you have a building this should be tagged with:

public_transport=station
building=yes

Take Paddington Station in London as an example. Here is the overarching
stop_area for all the elements of public transport associated in some
way with Paddington Station (this including the mainline station, two
underground stations and a bunch of bus stops).

Here is the stop area for Paddington mainline station itself (note that
there is a node with role 'station' and the outline of the station with
the role 'building'). Incidentally I am also starting to add footways
within the station to the relation with the role 'access'.

Here is the station node. Note the 'note' that reads "DO NOT delete as
route relations cannot have the building (area) as a 'stop'."
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/558489676

And here is the boundary of the station from which I removed the
'railway=station' tag and added a note that reads "please do not add a
railway=station tag - there is already a node performing this function."
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/8877521/history

I am not 100% comfortable with this approach because without a
'railway=station' tag the area is rendered as any other building rather
than as a station. However.. if one adds the 'railway=station' tag to
the building outline then one gets another instance of railway station
rendered on the map. I know that we shouldn't tag to suit the renderer -
this is more a question about how we want to tag things unambiguously
and what we want the map to look like and therefore what we want the
rendered to do!

What I would recommend in your examples:

Add
type=public_transport
public_transport=stop_area
to all the relations.

In earlier days during the RFC of the proposal there was a public_transport=stop_area_group
what exactly fitted your needs for your
During the discussion we removed this from the proposal and we saied one should leave away such a relation as a whole. I personally still add such relations and do not remove them.

Have a look at the following example:
This is the stop_area_group relation containing ONLY other stop_areas. One for railway and the other for the bus.

The relations for the railway also includes park&ride and the stations building (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/82160292)

The other realation for the bus stations contains a station tagged with area=yes to show the outline of the bus station (http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/83334745).

A railway=station is not used anymore and has been replaced by public_transport=station. Actually it does not get rendered completely, but I think this is only a question of time until the renderers are updated.

Hope I have answered all your questions.

Regards
Teddy