> Felix Delattre <felix-li...@delattre.de> writes:
>
> > There are different concepts of routes in OpenStreetMap and GTFS.
> > Sometimes they are not existent or ambiguous.
>
> I am a native speaker of en_US.
>
> > 1. A general public transport service (e.g. No. 38):
> > In OSM: "route_master" in GTFS: "route"
>
> I find route_master to be an odd term, and very much computer jargon vs
> human language.

For me that is a line. It has a line number. (which sometimes is not simply
numeric, so it's more of a symbol, but OK)

> > 2. A theoretical tour a bus takes, but without schedule information, it
> > represents one each for different direction, but also if one is shorter
> > than the other
> > In OSM: "route"; in GTFS: /not existent/
>
> I would call this a bus route.  Around me, it would have a number, and a
> set of stops.   Then there would be a schedule for the bus route that
> says what time the bus starts from each end and the time for at least
> some of the intermediate stops.   So I find the use of the word route in
> OSM natural.  It also parallels the use of route for a road, which is a
> sequence of ways, but without timing.

I would call those itinerary. If OSM had started out with that term, we
wouldn't have the ambiguity today. But route is used for foot/bicycle/horse
and PT itineraries. For PT I resorted to call them route variations, but
they are 'represented' by route relations in OSM.

> > 3. An actual tour a bus takes, on a certain time
> > In OSM" not existen; in GTFS: "trip"
>
> It makes sense to use "trip" in GTFS, and it makes sense that this is
> not in OSM because we don't represent that level of information.

Indeed. If we could figure out a way to represent it anyway, I think it
would be a plus. But I won't be holding my breath.

> > Route: Is used for different concepts (I guess because of British and
> > American English)
>
> I don't think it's en_GB vs en_US.  I've recently driven in Scotland and
> about 10 years ago in Ireland, and didn't find route to mean something
> significantly differently.  In the US, we use it as part of the name of
> a numbered highway, e.g. "Route 2" is a state highway that goes for
> about 200 miles.  It is signed the whole way and you change road name
> often, but you follow that sequence of roads to get from Boston to the
> New York border, more or less.  Perhaps that isn't used that way in the
> UK, but the notion of "bus route" seemed similar to me.
>
> > Routemaster:  Is a very technical term. I thinks, it's not
> > understandable when looking at it naively (isn't this the bus driver?)
>
> Agreed.  This is a defined term that doesn't mean anything to native
> speakers without reading the definition.
>
> Absent a definition, I wouldn't expect it to mean the driver.   I would
> expect it to mean the official at the transit organization or bus
> company that has the authority to decide what streets that route will go
> on (and can change the set of stops).

I'm sure whoever came up with the term wanted to make sure it had route in
the name, as it's grouping a bunch of route relations. For me this is the
'line'. Service line definitely doesn't sound very English to me. (But I'm
not a native speaker either). PT line, maybe?