Hi Dave,

Am 04.06.2018 um 18:48 schrieb Dave F:
> Whilst tidying up UK railway stations so buildings were tagged as
> 'train_station', I've come across some points which I don't understand.
> Could someone help clarify?
>
>  * Is station=subway used to indicate a station that's part of a
>    specific network or if it's physically subterranean? There are
>    currently many tagged as such which are in the open air:
>    http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/zjc. The wiki doesn't help much: "subway
>    is used to describe a subway station".
>    https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:station%3Dsubway

station=subway can (or better: should) also be applied to stations which
are above ground but where subways services stops. Many such networks
have long sections above ground because they are easier and cheaper to
build and maintain. station=* can be used by map style authors to
distinguish between usually more important stations of trains (those
operated by the national railway company or its successors).

>  * Why is railway=halt a main tag instead of 'railway=station,
>    station=halt'. To me a halt is a subtype of station, similar to
>    'station=subway'.

Ask those who invented it long ago. Use railway=halt for "stations" with
very few infrastructure (just platforms, small shelters, no shops) and
railway=station for the others. German and Austrian mappers use
railway=station/halt differently. Their criteria to distinguish the two
ones is the presence of points (except subways where everything is
tagged railway=station except subways which are indeed light rails or
underground trams).

>  * Stop Area relations - What are they for? What benefit is there in
>    having what appears to be quite random items (bike parking, cafes
>    etc) in a relation
>
> <https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4713070#map=17/51.26848/-1.08883>?
>    I thought creating relations as a 'collection of things' was
>    discouraged. This one even includes telephones!
>    https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4713070#map=17/51.26848/-1.08883

Their real purpose is to group platforms and stop positions. Some
mappers tend to fill them up with a large pile of other stuff (benches,
footways, waste baskets, vending machines, …). I think that they should
stay small and manageable.

There are map styles rendering some stop area like areas. Thunderforest
Transport (aka OpenTransportMap) is one of them. I don't know the secret
sauce behind it but another (not public) map style I know uses a simple
"GROUP BY name" to create such areas.

I am not sure whether OsmAnd supports them or if it also only groups by
name and other tags but Osm2gpsql which is used by many map style
authors doesn't.

Best regards

Michael