On Wed, 8 May 2019 at 22:15, Tijmen Stam <mailingli...@iivq.net> wrote:

> On 06-05-19 19:29, Stephen Sprunk wrote:
> >
> > I'd love to see stop areas go away, or at least limited to instances
> > where the link between stop position and platform can't be deduced from
> > geometry.  Heck, in most cases, the stop position itself can be deduced
> > from the platform and route geometry--assuming the platform is in the
> > route relation, which isn't always the case.
>
> But in some it can't.

Could you please give some examples where the stop position can't be
calculated from the waiting area? I'd also like to know for which use
cases the stop positions are necessary.

> Also, the stop_area is, in the Netherlands, a concept used to map all
> stops "belonging" to each other together, for trhansit open data/transit
> planners. e.g. all four stops around a junction will be one "stop_area"
> (having one ref:IFOPT:NL:S:<number> reference), even when those four
> stops will have different names (e.g. named in pairs after the side street).

If stops share the same ref, there is no need for a stop_area, as they
are already in a relation with each other by having the same ref.

Regards

Markus