The thing is, as the area around Stockholm clearly shows, highway=bus_stop
is indeed sufficient. If I were to remove all the
public_transport=platform/bus=yes tags from the stops in Belgium, it's very
likely that nobody would notice. If I were to remove highway=bus_stop, all
of  sudden it would seem that Belgium doesn't have bus stops anymore.

"Killing off" highway=bus_stop is what I have been trying to do (somewhat
passively, or at least not very actively) for the past few years. Since
about a year I came to the conclusion that forsaking public_transport tags
would be more straightforward if we really want a simplification.

And double tagging everyting to please everyone is quite likely the easiest
thing to keep doing, even though it's awkward every time when you have to
explain a highway=bus_stop isn't actually a highway and a
public_transport=platform isn't actually a platform in 90% of the bus stops
involved.

This is probably what is going to happen, because the people who would like
to abolish the public_transport tags will never agree with the people who
want to abolish the highway=bus_stop tags.

Polyglot, le défaitiste