One problem I had when living in the UK was deciding which station to use
to travel up to London.  Mother who worked as a midwife had been told one
station by the nurses at the hospital.  Fine except it was a 20 minute
drive to get there and the fairly high frequency but stopping tube would
get you into the city fairly quickly.  Later I used the station that was
ten minutes walk away.  That saved the 20 minute drive and has fewer stops
at stations.  Years later I found another station 15 minutes walk away that
ran into Liverpool street with only one stop.  Much the fastest but I'd
been living there more than ten years before I uncovered it.  There was
another line I used occasionally that ran into Kings Cross and occasionally
that would best depending on where you were going to.

So it is a mixture sometimes of which station to use and how that gets you
to your destination.  Don't get me started on tickets and which to use.

The route planners make it much easier than obtaining the old paper
timetables and pouring through them.

Does all this complexity belong in OSM?  Probably not our strength I think
is in the mapping of stations etc and let someone else sort the rest out.

Cheerio John