FYI for those of you not on Talk-US

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sarah Manley <sarah.m.man...@gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 10:07 AM
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] U.S. Local Chapters
To: Peter Batty <pe...@ebatty.com>
Cc: Kate Chapman <k...@maploser.com>, talk...@openstreetmap.org, Nick Black
<n...@cloudmade.com>

All,

I was planning to send a similar email this week, so Kate, thanks for
beating me to it. I agree that it is important to get the US chapter up and
running, and that local groups can then use the national non-profit status
for their efforts. One place we may want to look to as an example is the
Wiki Media Foundations Chapter agreement and processes (
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Step-by-step_chapter_creation_guide ). I know
that folks at OSMF are working on the agreement with the foundation, and I
think we can start a team to look into gaining non-profit status.

The best bet is probably to form into committees to carry out the needed
steps. So far, some folks who want to be involved have signed up  here:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/Proposed_Chapters

I can create a new page that is Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States
where we can form into the committees and start to delegate tasks. We will
most definitely need a lawyer, accountant and some start up funds.There may
also be organizations that exist that can help us in the process ( If anyone
is in NYC, i know the foundation center helps with this:
http://www.foundationcenter.org/getstarted/faqs/html/starting_nonprofit.html).
Since there is a strong DC team and its the capital, it may be good to
incorporate there.

I can also volunteer to be a lead contact in California. I know the state of
CA is already using OSM, and is interested in becoming more involved(
http://recovery.ca.gov/HTML/RecoveryImpact/map.shtml). I also have a
contacts at WikiMedia Foundation if we would like to ask them any advice.

Best,
Sarah