Sorry to be slow to the conversation.  I have been importing the NHD
data for Georgia, and have scripts that do the conversion for all of the
NHD Ftypes that I have found so far.  I have also prepared a version of
polyshp2osm that converts areas to complex multipolygons, which allows a
restriction on maximum way length (important for the API 0.6
conversion.)  If anyone wants them, I would be happy to e-mail them to
him, or, if someone would like to post them on some website, that would
be great, too.

Theodore