On Mon, 2009-04-27 at 09:50 -0700, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
> tiger data is that the quality is from excellent to really bad in
> accuracy
> tiger data is old and contains abandoned roads
> tiger has no level info, no direction for oneways, no turn
> restrictions, or any other fancy info which we add in osm
>
> all this requires rework for most freeways, but it is good enough
> for
> lot of residential areas.
> As others pointed out the reviewed tag is too crude to mean anything
> we can all agree on.

My personal view on TIGER is that it is like GPS tracks on steroids.
GPS tracks are an excellent source of mapping data to help build OSM.
They have good information about where roads are, what their shapes are,
etc...  But they generally can't tell you about an intersection's
layout, turn restrictions or other surface features.

But, they can't be relied upon universally.  People have bad GPSes, they
also forget to turn off their "lock to road" feature, etc...

TIGER is a wonderful skeleton on which to build but it along is not a
complete or *good* map.

-- Dave