On Jul 20, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:

> * out of service (disused=yes above)
>   [tracks present, no trains, but not abandoned]
>
> * abandoned (this is a legal distinction in the US)
>
> * old railroad grade (beyond abandoned, where there are no longer
> tracks)

My criteria is: if there are still rails in place, then it's
railway=disused; and if the tracks are gone but you can still see
evidence of it then it's railway=abandoned.  If it's been bulldozed
into nonexistance, then it's railway:historical=abandoned.

There are other tags which indicate whether the right-of-way is usable
for passage and by whom.

--
Russ Nelson - http://community.cloudmade.com/blog -
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:RussNelson