On 12 Aug 2009, at 12:55, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Alex Mauer <ha...@hawkesnest.net> writes:
>
>> On 08/11/2009 06:10 AM, Greg Troxel wrote:
>>
>>> But, is "abandoned" really in use in other countries to mean what
>>> in the
>>> US we call "old railroad grade"?  (Here I am taking USGS norms to be
>>> established practice in the US.)
>>
>> Probably not; however, it is accepted practice in OSM.  As you say,
>> someone with more familiarity with railroad procedures and how they
>> differ between the US and elsewhere might be able to answer that.
>
> I think one of the bugs in OSM is failure to follow established
> practice.  But that's not worth worrying about in this case.

Do please join the 'talk-transit' list where we would love to talk
about tagging public transport related stuff and where I often push
for OSM to "follow established practice'. Talk-transit is *the* list
where we can get a lot of these issues resolved in an internationally
consistent way.

Do also check out the public transport section of the wiki which is
developing fast at present. more help would be appreciated. Here is
the new public_transport wiki page with links to all the main
transport modes.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Public_transport

And here is the category for public transport:-
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Category:Public_transport

Regards,

Peter Miller
ITO World