I'm still getting a handle on the schemas in use for OSM, and noticed that
concept of matching address nodes to ways when doing imports.
I'm not so sure this will be very functional for floodplain counties or heavy
agricultural counties. We have thousands of addresses with no corresponding
roads; the roads were wiped out in 1993 but the parcels still remain (and we
even get regular 911 calls for those addresses on roads that have not existed
for 15 years). Same thing for rural areas; plenty of addresses with no
corresponding roads. As a further complication, it is very common for an
address to have a completely different jurisdiction from the road, since roads
are the main divider for municipal/unincorporated boundaries (and you have a
lot of those with 90+ munis in 500 sq miles).

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017