On 16 Nov 2009, at 7:40 , Anthony wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 16, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Lord-Castillo, Brett
> <blord-casti...@stlouisco.com> wrote:
>> I'm still getting a handle on the schemas in use for OSM, and noticed that
>> concept of matching address nodes to ways when doing imports.
>> I'm not so sure this will be very functional for floodplain counties or
>> heavy agricultural counties. We have thousands of addresses with no
>> corresponding roads; the roads were wiped out in 1993 but the parcels still
>> remain (and we even get regular 911 calls for those addresses on roads that
>> have not existed for 15 years). Same thing for rural areas; plenty of
>> addresses with no corresponding roads.
>
> ----
>
> Can you give some details (privately if you'd like).  I'd like to see
> what TIGER has in this situation.
>
> When you say "the roads were wiped out", is it still possible to
> travel (by vehicle, or otherwise) over the area where the road
> previously existed?  Is there still a right of way over that area?  If
> so, there still should be a way, even if it's just highway=path,
> smoothness=horrible/very_horrible/impassible.

can send you pics of residential roads in tiger/osm/garmin/google… absolute
impassable overgrown. Tiger is full of dead data. Google managed lately to
remove railways which don't exist for ages.
if an area with dead data was't filled with something new no one will ever fix
it because it's impassable. no survey possible, areal images don't help in
forests.
so it will stay there forever