I have done some work today,
I hacked the osm2poly to produce polygons from the tiger 5 point zip codes :
http://fmtyewtk.blogspot.com/2009/12/using-osmosis-to-split-zipcode-files.html

It produces one polygon file per zipcode tabulation area.
I can then extract the data from that to look at what fits in it.

Also, you can see from my older posts, I setup qgis and was able to
pull in the various zipcode layers and admin borders. Will be
producing polygons for the counties as well, easy stuff.

The next scripting job will be to create relationships from the ways,
and reuse the sides of the boundries.

I am reviewing my old zipcode 07933 now and resolving some obvious
problems with the tiger zip codes which are very wildly distributed.

You can use these zipcode boundaries as a starting point for checking
the consistency of the data.

mike