On Thu, Jan 28, 2010 at 2:34 PM, <dion_d...@comcast.net> wrote:

> Maybe I should rephrase my question: is there any harm in adding a layer=1
> tag to something that is already tagged bridge=yes?

In some cases, yes.  No layer tag implies layer=0.  For example (and it's
only a single example which came to mind), if there are two bridges which
cross each other, one has layer=1, and the other has no layer tag, then
adding layer=1 to one bridge will break things.

> Would things be worse after doing this?  I submit that the maps would look
> the same or better in most cases.

I don't think that "the same or better in most cases" is sufficient to
justify automated edits.