On 4 Mar 2010, at 9:38 , McGuire, Matthew wrote:

> I see three dimensions of road classification at play here.
>
> 1) System
> 2) Function
> 3) Observed Character
>
> System is the easy one. That is the road system(s) that that the road belongs
> to especially for signage, but also for road funding channels, and
> maintenance responsibility.  And I agree that in practice, Census Feature
> Class Codes have been used (incorrectly) to identify the system to which a
> road belongs.

exactly, we should start tagging this with an operator tag or something
similar. many  osm mappers don't care but road enthusiasts do.

> Function describes the role a road plays in a road system and the types of
> trips (volume and length) it supports based on travel demand and trip
> generation. This is what the Highway Functional Classification System is
> designed for. It is used by Metropolitan Planning Organizations to distribute
> transportation funding.
>
> A road's Observed Character is what kind of road it appears to be to a person
> on the road. For general purpose maps, using observed character to classify
> the roads intends to match a person expectations to what they see on the
> ground. Character is highly correlated with function, but is not the same.
>
> I think Observed Character is what OSM is trying to achieve with the highway
> tag. I think this because the OSM tag descriptions for highways have photos
> and describe how the road looks, and you cannot determine system or function
> from a photograph.  I also think it is what the Census Feature Class Code
> definitions describe.

2,3 define what a navi or routing engine should use for best/fastest route and
there is a wide agreement in many countries that this is how the highway tag
should be used. no hard rule defined by either one. also local and relative
importance of a road plays a role. In a city a 2-3 lane road might be tertiary
but out in the country a primary road may have one lane in each direction.

good old discussion on this topic
http://www.mail-archive.com/talk-us@openstreetmap.org/msg00594.html