"McGuire, Matthew" <matt.mcgu...@metc.state.mn.us> writes:

> I see three dimensions of road classification at play here.
>
> 1) System
> 2) Function
> 3) Observed Character

I think you have this exactly right.

I view current practice as more or less a blend of system
(interstate/us/state) and observed character (trunk), with a nod to
function, where e.g. Massachusetts 2 is tagged as primary because it is
as important (if not more so) than a US highway in terms of how people
view it and in terms of how people use it (it's the major E/W route in
the north half of the state, so it's arguably more important than US 20
wich is superceded by I90 for long distance travel).