On 8 Mar 2010, at 10:10 , Richard Welty wrote:

> On 3/8/10 12:52 PM, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>> fully agree we should keep this target in mind.
>> But first we have to resolve a long list of problems first.
>> there shouldn't be any time when the renderer or other data consumers will
>> be left with completely broken data because step2 was done before step1
>> osm doesn't have any way of enforcing anything we need to be careful to kill
>> the dinosaur too early
>>

>> 1) route relation tagging has to be defined, agreed and accepted widely.
>> currently it's a mess.
>>
> agree on straightening out tagging. the ref tag on a route relation is a
> free-for-all right now, and there
> is not a clear concensus on the network tag either. on the other hand, if
> symbol is there and points at
> an appropriate svg file for a shield (which it generally does) then rendering
> may be straightforward.

shield rendering is a wish for many for a long time. but so far no one came up
with a practical solution. also there is no consensus if this will ever go
upstream to Mapnik because it will break the unified global rendering on
osm.org But that shouldn't stop anyone to setup a US specific rendering with
shields.

>> 2) rendering, garmin maps, any other major data consumer must be updated to
>> use relations. currently none does to my knowledge. no wonder since 1) isn't
>> done
>> 3) define a grace period after 1,2) is done and consider to delete them
>> after that. No need to do it because any consumer understanding relations
>> the right way will push down the relation ref and ignore the way ref.
>>
> we probably want a transitional algorithm stated for renderers.  many
> relations are built,
> but many are still missing. a use the relation if it exists and meets a set
> of requirements,
> else fall back on the ref tags on the ways sort of affair.

yes fallback is needed and is default in Mapnik for multipolygons vs tags on
simple area polygons. Shouldn't be difficult to do the same for route relations