Frederik Ramm wrote:
>I think it's quite easy. If NE2 has been there to inspect the individual
>intersection he has been changing, or at least thoroughly studied aerial
>imagery or so for this particular intersection, then his idea of how it
>should be tagged is as legit as someone else's and the issue must be
>discussed/battled out for each case individually.
We don't dispute the facts. (Taking the South Innerbelt example) the
freeway is in a shallow valley/cutting, with ramps between the freeway
and its frontage roads, and cross streets intersecting the frontage
roads and passing over the freeway. The only dispute is about tagging:
whether it's appropriate to use layer=-1 for that. Of course, if the
freeway is layer=-1, a drainpipe that passes under the freeway would
need layer=-2. And a landuse polygon would need layer=-1 only where
the freeway is such, and layer=0 on both sides, or otherwise, if
continuous, it would be referring to land on a structure above the
freeway or land under the other streets.

>(Personally, I have no issues with a bridge being layer=0 when stuff
>below it is layer=-1 - we explicitly say that layers are meant to be
>relative only.
Since before I joined (and, in fact, since they were created in 2008),
the wiki pages for layer and key:layer have stated that 0 is for the
ground level, positive numbers are for bridges, and negative numbers
are for tunnels. "The bridge within a perfectly flat street should be
layer=1 even if the stream is as far below it as the Grand Canyon." As
I said, maybe we need a way to mark that this has no consensus (or
actively not mark that it has consensus) if there is truly a lot of
disagreement with it.

>At the same time, if people really have been tagging
>whole thoroughfares with layer=-1 that may in itself be questionable.)
Here's an example:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/way/17325258/history It looks like
this one, at least, was a combination of TIGER screwiness (tiger:cfcc
= A33 means "Secondary and connecting road, state highways,
unseparated, underpassing") and the TIGER import assigning layer=-1 to
A33.

My personal stance is that layer tags are only necessary when there is
ambiguity, but of course I won't remove existing ones where correctly
applied. A single bridge is obviously above an intersecting
non-bridged way, assuming correct tagging, and we don't need layer=1
on the bridge to make that clear. This of course has no bearing on the
current dispute, except in that doing this would have prevented any
problems :)